Social media optimization (SMO) is the use of a number of social media outlets and communities to generate publicity to increase the awareness of a product, service brand or event.SMO is similar to search engine optimization. social media optimization refers to optimizing a website and its content to encourage more users to use and share links to the website across social media and networking site.
Social media optimization (SMO) was originally designed to drive traffic from social media sites such as bookmarking sites and social networks. However, SMO is now significantly more important and not simply because social networking has grown but because SMO also improves SEO performance. Good SMO will drive traffic from both direct social site referrals and from search engines.Website can be advertise and promotion through facebook,twitter,Linkedin,Instagram etc.
A mobile application also may be known as an app, Web app, online app, iPhone app or smartphone app.
7 steps to Improve your SMO
- Reputation - build your reputation as a reliable qualified source
- Engagement - encourage more engagement, sharing & reciprocate.
- Authority - become a notable authority in your field of expertise
- Leadership - harness originality & creativity, be a Thought Leader
- Social - be social, find and engage sociable experts in your field
- Media - know your social media platforms to maximize influence
- Optimization - improve technical aspects to increase optimization
10 helpful tips optimize your social media profile
1. Socialize – It might seem obvious, but it's important to spell it out. Every time you create a social media profile, start by spending some time visiting other people's profiles, adding new friends and commenting. Networking starts by reaching out to others and initiating the relationship.
2. Multimedia – Don't be shy adding new pictures, video and other media. Social media sites are designed around media and have plenty of tools for incorporating them in your profile. Working media into your profile makes it stand out and makes the experience more interesting for others visiting your profile.
3. Share – Incorporate share buttons for all of your social media sites on each of your blogs and websites. These include buttons like Twitter's Tweet This and Pinterest's Pin It button. Integrate these as much as possible to leverage the traffic you already have.
4. Content – Just like a website or blog, you need to add fresh content regularly. With social media, it's even more important. Posts are quickly archived and disappear within days or hours. Create a schedule of posting regularly, but don't let quantity outweigh the quality of your posts.
5. Optimize For Keywords – Work your keywords and target key phrases into your social profiles and posts whenever it's natural to do so.
6. Completeness – Search engines will show a preference for profiles with all the details available. It also creates a more professional and comprehensive appearance for others in your network.
7. Watch Visitor Behavior – Use the analytics tools provided by each of the social media sites and pay attention to what people are doing. Monitoring behavior will tell you what is working and what isn't. If some features aren't being used, eliminate them to cut down on clutter.
8. Share Everything – Create unique, helpful and interesting content and encourage your visitors to pass it around. Viral posts can result in a lot of exposure for your profile.
9. Timing – Pay attention to the timing of your posts and track results. You'll find that certain times of day get you a better response. Focus on those high-traffic periods.
10. Selflessness – Don't let your posts revolve around self-promotion. While social media has more of a focus on individual opinion, focus on topics that are helpful to your network of friends and offer advice and information that benefits others.